Lifetime planning for you and your family

Call For A Free Initial Consultation.

It Is Never Too Late There is something
you can do.

I Have An Adult Child Who Is Disabled. Can I Transfer My Life Savings To That Child Without Affecting My Medicaid Eligibility?

Normally, any transfers of assets within the Medicaid 5 year look back period will affect Medicaid eligibility for a nursing home. However, there are some exceptions, including making transfers to a child who is disabled. Medicaid has strict rules for determining when a person is considered to be legally disabled. Keep in mind, however, that if your child is receiving certain government benefits, such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Medicaid, transferring your money or property to your child may cause him/her to lose his/her own benefits. In this situation, you may want to consider transferring your assets to a supplemental needs trust for the benefit of your child.

Still Have More Questions?

Contact our experienced Upstate New York elder law attorneys to schedule a free initial consultation.

Our firm focuses our practice on estate planning and Medicaid planning. We are also very experienced in handling elder law, irrevocable trust , revocable trust, basic estate planning(Will, Power of Attorney, Health Care Proxy), Medicaid law , and children with disabilities / supplemental (special) needs trust matters.

The Koldin Law Center handles the entire Medicaid application process for the client with the goal of preserving and protecting some or all of the family life savings from the costs of Nursing Home care.

E - Newsletter

Practice Areas

Basic Estate Planning

Trust Planning

Medicaid Planning And MedicaidApplications

Planning For Individuals With Disabilities

Probate And EstateAdministration